Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A bump in the road

Monday, October 18, 2010

Rob and I got up at 6:00 am for Harrison's morning routine. We both had to go to work that morning, but we were ready to go. This was our trial run of a normal day, as I want to start back to work next week full time. H.B. had a normal poop and pee, but when we took off his diaper to change it, there was a lot of gooey pink discharge, presumably from his bed sores. We tried to clean rinse him off, but we couldn't really find the source of it. It seemed odd to me so I immediately called in to work and told them I couldn't make it and then I called the vet.

As soon as I could, I got myself and Harrison ready and went to the vet once more. On the way, Harrison was calm and relaxed, which is amazing because I was a wreck! He even laid down on the back seat. When we arrived, he wasn't anxious at all and even tried to climb out of the car by himself when I opened the door! The vet tech came and took him back to examine him and I waited until the doctor had time to see me. Dr. Cotter assured me that I had done the right thing in bringing Harrison in and he commented that Rob and I were obviously taking good care of Harrison. (We worry a lot about that, given he is recovering from a major surgery in his back and neither of us have much experience with this kind of stuff.) He seemed happy to hear about Harrison moving his tail and he mentioned that he detected some reaction when he touched one of Harrison's back paws.

He recommended that I leave Harrison there for the day so that both he and Dr. Gillick could examine him. I have to say that I was pretty devastated by this development. He is improving so much: moving his tail, holding his poop, taking his medicine, eating and drinking, enjoying his outside walks. But he seemed so happy to be going to the vet again. The doctor called last night and said that he was resting comfortably and was not anxious at all. They packed his sores and are monitoring him closely. We left him there for observation overnight.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Dr. Nelson called from the hospital. Harrison is doing fine. She recommended doing another surgery to put in a drain for Harrison's sores and to help them heal as fast and as well as possible. His surgery is scheduled for around noon. Once these sores heal, there is nothing holding him back! He's just so full of life!

No comments: